Friday, January 19, 2024

Honey Garlic Habanero b2

Fermented Ingredients (355 days):
• Habaneros 127g
• Brine 1 Cup 

Fresh Ingredients:
• Sweet Onions 267g
• Garlic 197g
• Orange Bell Peppers 146g
• Honey 6 oz
• Salt 1 tsp
• White Vinegar 1 Cups
• Xanthan Gum 1/8 tsp

Saute the onions and bells until they start to char. Remove and add all the garlic, also sauteing until golden brown. Keep your eye on this and make sure it doesn't burn. Remove, combine all ingredients in blender. Blend on high for 5 minutes, then simmer on low for 20 minutes skimming solids off the top. Cool, then reblend with the xanthan gum on low for 60 seconds. Bottle, refrigerate. 

Notes:
• I was really unsatisfied with the honey garlic rush recipe so I pulled half the habs and some brine from a large fermented jar and threw together this recipe really fast. Explains why there's no garlic or onions in the ferment
• Regular grocery store garlic from here on till July, I think this was 4 heads worth
• A little more garlic and a little less honey in this batch, I think those were good moves
• A little bit more onion too, not super notable
• The store was out of yellow bells so I used an orange. The color is fun but I think I like the lighter better, this has a sickly carrot like orange. Not off putting, but not as appetizing
• A lot of heat from the habs, a bit surprised actually
• Perfect consistency between the honey and xanthan gum
• I don't have a bottle of the original recipe to compare, but really good and not needing much improving. I tried punching it up with the honey garlic ferment and then again with the sugar rush peppers. I think the simplicity here and just liking this for what it is makes this one of my more popular recipes



No comments:

Post a Comment

Peach Habanero

Fermented Ingredients (192 days) • Habaneros 81g • Yellow Onions 142g • Garlic 34g • Brine 3/4 Cups Fresh Ingredients: • Sweet Onions 216g •...