Thursday, August 31, 2023

(Salty) Mango Reaper

Fermented Ingredients (48 weeks):
• Carolina Reapers 110g
• Garlic 15g
• Brine 1 cups

Fresh Ingredients:
• Yellow Onion 237g
• Yellow Bell Peppers 175g
• Chesnok Red Garlic 28g
• Mangoes 257g
• White Vinegar 1.5 cups
• Water 1/2 cups
• Salt 1/2 tsp (I did tbs, don't do that)
• Xanthan Gum 1/8 tbsp

Saute the bells and the onion until charred and caramelized, add the garlic until golden. Throw everything into the blender except the xanthan and blend on high for 5 minutes. Simmer for 20 minutes, cool and reblend with the xanthan on low for 90 seconds. Bottle, refrigerate. Yields about 30oz, pH 3.4

This is maybe the oldest jar in my cupboard and for sure one of my first ferments. I was wondering if I over salted the brine, but after reviewing other recipes I think I made a mistake up by adding salt measured by a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon. That might explain why it's so fucking salty. Not inedible but not fit to sell or give away. I'm eating it with unseasoned food which is surprisingly working out great

Notes:
• Not many tasting notes since the salt over powers literally everything else
• Deeper color than what I was going for. This was a recreation of a sauce I made a month or two before I launched the blog that I remember being a bit pale (hence the bell) but this came out completely orange leaning towards red
• I think this recipe used way more peppers than the original also, given the jar ratios. It's also possible I used yellow reapers instead of red ones
• I think I threw in the mango raw instead of searing it, but who knows if that made any difference
• Definitely going to make a batch 3 in the near future
• I was in a hurry to make this and next time I want to take some time and add some nuance to it. It's a really basic recipe and I think I can craft something that adds more to my staple formula




No comments:

Post a Comment

Moruga Mango

Fermented Ingredients (85 days): • Red Moruga Scorpions 132g • Yellow Onions 125g • Garlic 38g • Brine 1 Cups Fresh Ingredients: • Yellow On...