Friday, January 5, 2024

Pineapple Scorpion Salsa

Ingredients:
• Roma Tomatoes 705g (seven medium)
• Garlic 47g (one head)
• Red Onions 259g (one medium)
• Red Scorpions 25g (five small)
• Pineapples 202g
• Pineapple Juice 1 tbs
• Salt 1 tbs
• Brown Sugar 1 tsp
• Water 2 cups

Cut the tops and halve all the tomatoes. Place face up on parchment paper and bake at 410*F for forty minutes. While that cooks, saute the onion and peppers, adding the garlic when they start to char. Cook until that browns, then caramelize the pineapple. Blend on low for 90 seconds or until desired consistency. Refrigerate. Yields ~55 oz

Notes:
• First thing to point out here is I used three of four less tomatoes than I usually do but kept everything else the same
• I'm skeptical of the peppers in the recipe. They should be all scorpions but some were shaped a bit flat, kind of like a bonnet or a ufo 
• All the peppers were tiny too. The last of all my frozen 2022 stuff
• Pretty hot regardless, if my reaper salsa is a 10 this is maybe a 7
• Onions and garlic are usually roasted with the tomatoes but I was running low on time so I peeled garlic while the tomatoes cooked and sauteed instead
• This was blended in my vitamix instead of my food processor. I blended low and the tomatoes made a thick creamy texture compared to the more grainy stuff I get in the food processor
• The result is the tomatoes being fully blended with the oil and making a thick creamy texture
• There are chunks of everything else. Big ribbons of peppers, pieces of garlic, strings of pineapple, globs of onion. Only issue here is the tomato skin splinters
• First time using sugar in a salsa. I like it with the fruit, it really takes the sweetness to a level that matches the salt
• Everything is balanced here. Only real issues I have here are the tomato skins and the garlic chunks being a bit too big and over powering on some bites. Maybe throw those in to blend with some of the water first, then add everything else

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Moruga Mango

Fermented Ingredients (85 days): • Red Moruga Scorpions 132g • Yellow Onions 125g • Garlic 38g • Brine 1 Cups Fresh Ingredients: • Yellow On...