Monday, May 29, 2023

Frank A Bitch b1


Ingredients (fresh):

• Reaper- 110g (25 pods, frozen)
• Garlic- 26g
• White Vinegar- 2.5 cups (20oz)
• Salt- .5 tbs
• Lime- One Juiced
• Xanthan gum- 1/4 tsp
 

Formerly named Satan's blood where we just had peppers and vinegar. The idea is to have a non fermented super hot pepper blitz. I've made this six or seven times before where it's just straight vinegar and peppers, but I wanted to add a bit of nuance to it. The vinegar base really reminds me of wing sauce influencing the name

This ended up being my last bag of frozen reapers, which is okay because pepper season is right on the horizon. Everything together in the vitamix except the xanthan, blended on high for 3 minutes and boiled for 10 minutes after to pasteurize. Scooped out the gunk that formed at the top and then blended on low with the xanthan gum. All my previous blends of this always started to separate and break so I added a bit more xanthan than usual, doubling from 1/8tsp to 1/4 which initially is a good move. I'm in love with the color, which is a vibrant red with some white marbling from the garlic. The boil was tough, for sure irritated my eyes and throat, maybe bring the box fan into the kitchen next time. Big improvement on the direction of this recipe. pH of 3.5

 Initial thoughts:
- I like the viscosity of the xanthan
- I forgot to toast the garlic cloves
- Ferment the reapers and garlic?
- Alternately use fresh peppers, maybe smoke them or at least roast 
- I tried a bit and the heat is stupid and where it should be
- Use the spent candied peppers from the honey to add a bit of sugar?


Second week:
- Lime is coming through a lot more which I like
- The extra xanthan paid off big, no separation issues and the consistency is right where it should be
- No real issues to address moving forward. I'm really happy with the simplicity and where I'm at with this sauce right now 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Moruga Mango

Fermented Ingredients (85 days): • Red Moruga Scorpions 132g • Yellow Onions 125g • Garlic 38g • Brine 1 Cups Fresh Ingredients: • Yellow On...